Chargebacksthe fraud library
While your acquirer or payment processor may train you and your team on how to access chargebacks from online, or to download them to your organization, that doesn't mean they will take the time, or have the experience, to teach you what you need to do with those chargebacks. Chargebacks represent a lot more than just fraud, and as an organization, it is in your best interest to have someone focused on chargebacks to determine which ones could possibly be reversed.
make it official - online training available enroll now to learn more about managing chargebacks.
Getting yourself a fraud training certification will improve your ability to prevent fraud while increasing your value and potential for advancement with your employer. The Fraud Practice offers 8 career paths and over 30 training courses related to e-commerce payments and fraud prevention. Check out our training options.read more
Not sure what to make of your chargebacks ?
The Fraud Practice's Chargeback Monitoring Service goes well beyond calculating fraud and chargeback levels to provide early indications of problems with a company’s payment systems, operational procedures, policies, pricing and promotions.
In short the Chargeback Monitoring Service can not only help companies manage fraud, it can also help them increase customer satisfaction and sales conversion.
- Chargeback Reason Codes. Every card association has their own list of reason codes for chargebacks and retrieval requests. Reason codes are used to indicate the cardholder or issuer's dispute regarding a transaction. In many cases one reason code can have different meaning from one card type to another, so be careful.
- Address Verification Services (AVS). Address Verification Services (AVS) is a tool provided by credit card associations and issuing banks to allow merchants to check the submitted billing address in order to see if it is on file with the issuing bank. The AVS check is usually done as part of a merchant’s request for authorization on the credit card. When a merchant makes a request, the address is checked against the address on file at the issuing bank. AVS is supported in the United States, Canada and the UK. Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover Card all support AVS. For other card types check with your payment processor.
- Authorization (Real Time). Authorization is a request from the merchant to the consumer’s issuing bank to determine if sufficient money is available on the credit card for payment, and to hold those funds for this purchase.
- Verified by Visa. Verified by Visa is an emerging tool that is intended to validate that the authorized credit card holder is the one actually attempting to make a purchase.
- Advanced Address Verification (AAV). Advanced Address Verification (AAV) goes beyond AVS and checking the billing address on file with what the cardholder provided to also check the shipping address, email and phone number. This service is only available on American Express and due to its recent changes in March 2009 may or may not be supported by your gateway.
Chargebacks and retrieval requests are a part of doing business if your company accepts credit cards. The problem is many merchants and their staff lack the basic knowledge of what chargebacks and retrieval requests mean, what causes them and what to do about them. Simply ignoring chargebacks and retrieval requests can get your company into a lot of trouble; it could even cause you to lose your merchant account. The intent of this course is to provide the basic knowledge you need to not only understand chargebacks, but also on the four phase chargeback process you will need to follow to manage chargebacks in your company.
Fraud Solution Provider Landscape. The Fraud Solution Provider Competitive Lanscape is a prepared research document, 31 pages in length, intended for organizations looking to gain an introductory understanding to the fraud solution marketplace and the the fraud solution providers servicing that market. The competitive landscape document makes references to over 100 fraud solution providers.